Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Space to Laugh

Anyone who knows me is familiar with my quirky sense of humor--my ability to guffaw and--on some occasions-- snort with the best of them.   I love this picture and it makes me laugh just thinking of Bat Man’s secret cave being so publicly advertised on the interstate!

The photograph is actually taken outside of Bat Cave, North Carolina.  The town is named for a local cave inhabited by bats.  Bat Cave is on the Broad River and supposedly Lew Wallace finished the script for "Ben Hur" there.  Though I’ve never been to the city, the sign made me laugh.

A few times a year I find something strikes me so funny that I laugh uncontrollably.  It is usually something very quirky and ironic that does it and when I try to explain to someone else why its funny, it never quite comes out right.  Something just touches a cord in me and I laugh with abandon.  I both love and fear the feeling of laughing uncontrollably--its euphoric on the one hand and yet tears and noises that I'm not accustom to are hard to control!    So, I don't have a bat cave but I do have a secret--I can't laugh, cry or sleep without making some noise--call me batty!

We've heard of the man cave idea-- a space just for a guy to hang out--and yet everyone should have their own space...a corner somewhere for our favorite things, a favorite chair where the sun or moon can be seen, a bivouac with a favorite chachka nearby.   A place where you are free to laugh and cry and guffaw at whatever tickles you.

To the bat cave!

Susan

3 comments:

  1. Cute post, you would never find me in the bat cave! The thought of one getting stuck in my hair is frightning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, not a fan of bats either, Frannie! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete