Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Music is Like Glue--it sticks with you!

Music is such a powerful tool that sometimes a song will stick in your head for days.  That’s annoying when it’s a trite song but wonderful when it’s a song with great meaning.  All I have to do is say Company B or pina colata and I know exactly what song you're thinking of! 

I sing with a swing band and one of the songs I do regularly is Stormy Weather.  I hear the music and I immediately see Lena Horn in my minds eye.  What a singer she was.  I think she changed her whole career when she sang that song.

Do you recall the episode of Cheers in which Sam and Coach went back to school and they were having trouble with geography? They put the spatial relationships of the countries in a song.  I think the tune was When the Saints Go Marching In and the words went something like, "Albania, Albania, it borders on the Adriatic..."    I can’t hear of the Adriatic Sea today without going right back to that episode. 

Is it any wonder we still sing “A, B, C, D” in our heads when remembering which letter follows which?  Music is powerful and I think it’s an underutilized tool in education. If more memorization was taught through music, I wonder what the impact might be.  This might lead to a discussion of funding for the arts in public education so I’ll segue.

Ponder it: ” I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music.  It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain.”  --George Eliot (1819 – 1880)

What do you think?  What value do you place upon music and the other arts?   What do the arts teach children?   Find five passages of scripture in which the arts are referenced—what is your conclusion about how God views the arts?

Have a creative day!
 

2 comments:

  1. I love music but can't sing (well not on key anyways)When my husband and I were busy auctioning and going to thrift stores yesterday I found a sign that was perfect. It said, If you can't sing - Be the song. My name is Carol. It was perfect.
    I love your writing. I am happy I found you through Etsy. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Carol, for the encouragement! Love to hear from my fellow Etsians! The creative types must stick together! :)

    ReplyDelete