Monday, May 16, 2011

The Chocolate Cake

There's a moistness to it you don't get with just any chocolate cake.  Its dense yet light, has beautiful texture and complimenting the cake is the silky smooth homemade icing that melts wonderfully between my tongue and the roof of my mouth.  I make great homemade chocolate cake. 

The cake is time consuming and requires fresh ingredients but its worth it.  The smell of the cake baking only furthers the anticipation.  The texture, taste, smell, and moistness all contribute to the experience.  And since I don’t make it all the time the chocolate cake almost becomes an event.  

I have made a chocolate cake for no reason, just for me.  But not often—there’s no way I can finish one myself so it seems like such a waste if I don't have an occassion.  So I save the cake for special times, birthdays and holidays.  Some of you may do the same with table linens or an expensive perfume or the silver service.  But what happened if I made the chocolate cake once a week and used Grandma’s hand stitched linens daily?  Would they cease to be less special?  Is that our fear?  

We all have perfectly logical reasons for why we treat some things as sacred or  “for special occasions only” and that can be good.  But reevaluate what you treat as special and consider using the things you felt should only be behind glass.  Life is meant to be lived after all—one piece of chocolate cake at a time.

Try it!  So you have someone's birthday coming up and you said you'd bring the cake but its been a long week and you're frankly no in any mood to make a home made cake.  You can put your homemade touch on a boxed chocolate cake mix. I get a dark chocolate fudge cake mix,  add a dash of vanilla flavoring, olive oil instead of vegetable oil and instead of water use a cup of cool coffee or a coffee and buttermilk combination. Add ½ a bag of mini chocolate chips for richness and garnish the frosting with chocolate shavings….see if anyone can tell it was made from a box!

And why don't you get out Grandma's antique cake stand or the good china?   Yes, it might break or it might not.   Let it go and have a piece of cake.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you. Take clothing as another example. Some items are too good for simple every day wear, right?

    ReplyDelete