Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wood

I love the smell of wood.  Sometimes you can identify a wood just by its smell. Take cedar or cypress for instance.  I love seeing the wood grain patterns created by the way in which it was cut…the rings that took so many years to produce.  I love the feel of smooth wood under my fingertips and I love its ability to be molded and shaped, cut and chiseled into so many different things. 

I wonder if Jesus felt so strongly about wood?  He was a carpenter.  I wonder what he enjoyed about wood? I wonder what types of things he would have crafted?  Boats?  Furniture?  Coffins?  Canes?

He died on a wooden cross.  Is it a coincidence?  I wonder if he could smell the wood and if that was comforting as he was dying? 

         Think about it: If you were given a block of wood in any species of your choice,  what would it be and what would you do with it? 

Have a creative day!

Susan
www.etsy.com/shop/Pinoodles

No comments:

Post a Comment