Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The music box

When I was little I had one of those common music boxes with the pink ballerina on the inside that danced in a circle to the music.  Then and there I was fascinated by anything pink and the beauty of dance.  While I tried dancing as a kid it didn’t necessarily come naturally and I wasn’t the most graceful of 8 year olds. What hard work I thought it was and yet still I loved the look of it, the feel of it and the synchronization of it all.  My pink ballerina danced effortlessly and consistently in circles, very unlike me.  I have always dreamed of having little girls so that I might see in their eyes what my mom likely saw in mine.

I’m sure there was one object in particular that you fancied as a kid.  I bet you’re smiling right now just thinking of it.  Whether it was a jar full of marbles or a connector set or dress up clothes, a piece of jewlrey, an electric train or a rocking horse, there was something about it that mesmerized you, something about it that allowed you to lose yourself in it for hours.  Part of that is just being a kid and part of that is a spirit of wonderment.

I hope you haven't lost your spirit of wonderment.  Sometimes I’ll go places just because the environment unleashes that spirit of wonderment, an opportunity to dream or a flood of childhood memories.  And I’m taken back, if only for a second, to my first lifting of the lid on the music box—the first glimpse of the effortlessly dancing pink ballerina.

Write it:  Journal about a favorite childhood object or activity and try to find a picture online or in a magazine that could illustrate it.  Put it in a scrapbook or on a computer file and share with your kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews.

Do it:  Scour flea markets, second-hand stores and antique shops for something you had as a kid and just enjoy the flood of memories it brings back!

Have a creative day!

Susan
www.etsy.com/shop/Pinoodles

No comments:

Post a Comment