Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Only Two Tools You Need?

I can’t credit the source but I saw a sign once that read something like:

The only 2 tools you need: 
If it doesn't move and should--WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does--Duct tape!

 I don’t often use stereotypes about men and women, but that life philosophy has MAN written all over it!   I recall watching an episode or two of The Red Green Show (hilarious!) and a favorite saying of his was “Spare the duct tape, spoil the job.”

I sort of admire the simplicity of the idea of only needing two tools.  While it would work on a lot of things, I’d love to see it keep the innards of my apple pie from oozing out or a child from climbing out of her crib.  WD40 and duct tape, while wonderful things cannot cure everything.  Though I’m sure a man somewhere has tried! Did I just type that outloud?

One thing I admire about some people is the ‘get it done’ sort of attitude that cuts through the complications to finish the job.  I can be very indecisive at times and it’s refreshing to see someone that just sets their mind to something and has quick results.  No doubt the duct tape and WD40 are a part of the timely results.

As an artist I know that sometimes I will mull something over far too long wanting it to be "just so."   While planning and taking your time with some projects is great (can we say Sistine Chapel boys and girls?)  taking too much time and thinking it to death can also be the death of a project.  Sometimes we just need the WD-40/ Duct Tape approach to projects.

Do it:  What things in your world could be simplified, downsized or hastened?  And what merits lingering a little while longer?

Have a creative day!

Susan
www.etsy.com/shop/Pinoodles
 

4 comments:

  1. We need to downsize on all the STUFF and hasten the projects (but not so fast that they come out low quality). Absolutely no daydreaming while moving furniture. Move the furniture quickly, daydream later - that's my motto. Hope you have a creative day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost took a picture of my husband using duct tape as he worked on my green house today. I thought of your post and smiled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Thank him for me for illustrating so nicely my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete