Thursday, April 7, 2011

Toys

I love old metal toys—tops and cars and buckets and pitchers made of tin and painted bright colors.  They aren’t very practical to collect and they can be quite expensive but I enjoy looking at them. 

Truly fun and pretty things comprise a whole industry.  In a world that can be so heavy and full of care, sometimes having fun and pretty things to look at is comforting.  The practical part of me won’t allow myself to buy many, but inside I want one of everything and walls and shelves full of pretty things.  Maybe that's why I'm an artist--I can't afford to buy everything I want, but I can make my own pretty things.

I know myself so well that I could obsess if I allowed myself to collect anything.  The other way to look at it is that if I had a houseful of pretty things I might not have the need to go about looking.  No, let’s be reasonable—its fun to look and dream and to think of the pretty things in our own houses.  And occasionally I buy something simply because its fun and pretty though it doesn’t do anything or serve any practical purpose whatsoever.   Perhaps that is the definition of toys?

            Ponder it: “Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them. Antoine de Saint-Exupery.” (1900 - 1944)  Is there a toy of sorts you like to look at but never        buy because of the impracticality or cost?  If you had it, would you view it differently?   

           What do you think?
If you could make it yourself would it effect how wonderful you perceived it to be?


Have a creative day!

Susan

2 comments:

  1. Children's teasets. Love them. I think if I could make them I would tresure them more because I'd have the added connection of the creative process. Good questions.

    New follower from Handmade Wednesday.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts! Thanks for reading and introducting yourself! Blessings right back at ya :)

    Susan

    ReplyDelete