Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sometimes There Just isn't a Good Way to Tell Someone Bad News

My day pales in comparison to this kids'!   And isn't that usually so? We can always find someone that has it worse than us.   Its so easy to get focused on our own struggles that we fail to see what others are going through.   Poor kid--you wanna pick him up and give him a candy cane or something.   Wait 'til someone tells him the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny are dead  too!                                                                          
 
In my line of work I often give feedback to others.   I don't find any sort of high or power from this as some might think.  I find it often to be a burdensome, yet necessary responsibility.  I give feedback that is my honest opinion and that is based on my education and experience.    Sometimes I think its best to just rip the bandaid off fast and give them parting words of encouragement.   Sensing the fragility of others, I have taken more time, emphasizing what has been learned and accomplished.   Sometimes there just isn't a good way to tell someone bad news.
 
When I know delivering bad news is on my plate of tasks for the day, I pause to consider the kid above knowing that what I will say to someone can shape them for a long time to come.  And even then it might not be the right thing at the right time but I have to be at peace knowing I tried my best in difficult circumstances.

Though I confessed in an earlier post to sometimes being an emotional eater, in these instances dark chocolate does in fact seem to make it better...at least temporarily!

Have a creative day!
Susan

2 comments:

  1. I just love the photo above and feel so sorry for him.
    I agree it is so hard to be honest sometime when we have to deliver bad news or be critical in some way.
    I enjoy your blog, but always have a problem leaving a comment, I will try this time under anonymous, since I do not have my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any and all feedback--thanks for sharing your thoughts--look forward to hearing from you again!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete